For many of us, even the thought of sending our elderly relative to a nursing home seems horrible. Unfortunately, the move to the most caring skilled nursing facility Denver offers is the only solution possible in many cases. The process is very difficult for everyone involved, but the right strategy can make it all a bit easier – here is what you should find out about each nursing home you are considering before you make the final decision:
- Size and location – ideally, the nursing home is not too large and crowded and close to where you live, so that you can visit your loved one often;
- The services offered – while all nursing homes provide long-term care, not all of them include the same services in their offer. Prepare a list with the types of services that your relative needs and find a nursing home that offers all of them or, at least, as many of them as possible;
- The staff – the medical and other personnel in the home needs to be qualified, experienced, friendly and helpful as well. If your loved one needs special care, choose a facility that can provide that type of care;
- The food – the quality of the food is very important for elderly people, so try several meals at the facility you are evaluating.
Skilled nursing facilities are homes that usually offer short-term, specialized care services for patients suffering from special conditions or are in the process of recovering after hospital care. Skilled nursing services include, but are not limited to the following:
- Post-surgical or post-hospital care – these services usually include the administration of intravenous medication, wound treatments and help with internal feeding;
- Assistance with daily activities – these services include assistance with getting dressed, bathing, eating and other aspects related to self-care;
- Rehabilitation services – these services involve the monitoring of blood pressure, blood sugar and medications as well as the monitoring of diets.
The patients admitted to the best nursing homes in Denver will undergo a detailed physical evaluation, their medical history will also be reviewed and evaluated in order to put together the most adequate care plan.
Some skilled nursing facilities specialize in care services provided to patients suffering from specific illnesses and conditions, such as dementia or Alzheimer’s and many homes also offer speech therapy, physical therapy and other, similar rehabilitation services. These homes work with highly trained and dedicated medical staff and have doctors available round the clock in order to provide the highest level of safety for the residents.
Thanksgiving is a holiday that is celebrated by the entire family together and an excellent opportunity to express your love and gratitude towards the seniors of the family, your grandparents. Here are some tips from skilled nursing facility Denver caregivers to make the family gathering special for your elderly loved ones:
- Involve them into the preparations – your grandma will surely be happy to help you with time-tested kitchen tricks and to aide with the decoration process, while grandpa spends time with the boys, walking down memory lane;
- Display their favorite decorations – most elderly people have old decorations that are held in great value and that bring back memories that are told over and over again. Use those objects to complete your holiday decorations and to make your grandparents feel really at home;
- Take your grandparents to a place that they wish to see –most elderly people suffer from not being able to visit the places they are interested in because of their limited mobility or their inability to drive. Take your grandparents to see a place they have been longing to see – the weather might be chilly on Thanksgiving Day and during the weekend following it, but spending time and having fun together is surely a heartwarming experience for everyone.
The 4th of July is a time when families remember their veterans and attend patriotic community events about the Independence of the United States. This Independence Day, you will definitely want to get involved in your local community events, but it’s equally important to remember your own family’s veterans even those staying in senior living Denver centers and the contribution they made for keeping their country safe.
Anyone who has parents or grandparents who have fought or died in WWII or in the wars of Vietnam or Korea can relate to the special meaning that the 4th of July holds. Although it’s not Veterans’ Day, it’s still one of the most meaningful and important patriotic holidays in the United States, and it warrants calling the family together for a special meal.
To celebrate the veterans in your family, you can consider a 4th of July themed barbecue or family dinner with all the traditional foods that are normally prepared in your area during the event, and with a few additions that your family’s veterans used to enjoy.
Of course, celebrating your family veterans shouldn’t be exclusively about family members who have died while in service of their country. Veterans who have fought in the Gulf war or in Afghanistan should also be celebrated for their brave efforts and outstanding contributions to supporting their country’s safety and well being.
Whether your parents are already struggling to take proper care of themselves, or you are trying to plan ahead for when things get tough, looking for luxury assisted living facilities in Denver can definitely be a good idea. But what is it exactly that you should be looking for? The following tips will help you find out:
- First it’s a good idea to find out more about the assisted living facilities in your local area. Keeping your parents close is important, so you can visit them often and be able to get to the facility at short notice.
- Keep close track of your parents’ needs. Do they require assistance with basic tasks, or can they take care of those by themselves? Do they have memory problems? Maybe they need help with physical therapy or taking their medicine. All these details have to be accounted for well before you start searching for a facility.
- What is your pricing range and what are the amenities you are expecting to find at the facility? In most cases, you get what you pay for, but you’ll find some of the more hospitable facilities can offer advanced services at a lower cost.
Regardless of the type of assisted living facility you’re looking for, keeping track of these important details will be entirely essential, if you want your parents to be safe and comfortable in the long run.
Whether it’s your father, your grandfather or your father in law, dads deserve to be treated in a special way during Father’s Day. But what gifts should you consider getting Grandpa during his special day, and where should you start looking? The following tips from assisted living Denver caretakers should help:
- There’s no clear cut rule about what older people would like as gifts. Many prefer not to ask for anything, or they’d even refuse to accept a gift in the first place. However, if you make a list of what they really like and start searching for specific, meaningful gifts, then they’re likely to accept your present each and every time.
- Give the gift of time – a family picnic, a walk, a card game etc.
- Some of the most typical gifts you can buy are watches, new ties, memorabilia and books. You can also spice up your present by either personalizing it or adding some tech to the mix – such as a DVD collection of their favorite documentaries and shows.
- Many older people are also big on sports. You can get them a new bowling ball, some brand new golf clubs or some stylish sports gear.
- Finally, don’t underestimate the power of appealing to their passion for driving. Many older people love to keep driving and taking care of their cars well past their 60s, so you can never go wrong with a surprise paint job, a cool backseat organizer, new air fresheners or some practical upgrades.